Wednesday, March 11, 2009

MOON


Full moon last night....




Moonlight makes a restless night for me.  There is only light from the night sky here so when the moon is full it’s light will wake me... or perhaps what wakes me is the creatures... there is a lot of nocturnal hunting going on at the full moon.


So... I was up watching the night sky and thinking about Icarus... you know... if he had taken flight by moonlight he would have escaped the maze and his fatal fall... and I would never have photographed him as a memento mori on the sands of my beach.


My images of Icarus initiated a conceptual flight of my own... Icarus was a visual metaphor for how deeply my experience in the landscape was an acquired cultural construct. My cultural inheritance was creating an ambiguous play between what I believed and what I perceived... what was known and what was seen. I was engaged with a consensual reality... I had actually never experienced or photographed the beach as it truly was.


Human beings are pattern seekers... we devise constructs to distill and organize an unfathomable and vast mystery.