Friday, March 20, 2009

It was once the belief here that humans had two souls... the landscape was teeming with supernatural powers and places... spirits dwelt in all things.... the lives of the creatures were sacred and souls of beings wove their paths back and forth between  worlds.  Ravens were gods...





I know it is difficult to see this image of Raven... the gods nailed to a board.  This is a somber and disturbing image for the first day of Spring... but look closer there are little blossoms and soon the raven heads will be obscured by the life of the peach tree... life goes on.


Life goes on for the ravens also... I live here among them... when I first came here they were very curious about me and they would walk around on my deck and jump up to look into the windows... I assume to see what I was doing. They have a complex language and I believe they have named me... whenever they are close by and I come out of my house there is a particular phrase they repeat every time.  


Three days ago they began collecting sticks... relaying them to their nesting site... soon there will be new ravens. 


I believe that we have as a culture become deeply separated from the things we need the most... the beauty and spirit of natural world... for myself I try to be vigilant in my reconnection to the nature of this place ...especially considering that we as beings may now be  down to one soul.